Processed offences linked to a suspect

During 2019, 566,000 offences linked to a suspect were processed, which is an increase of 29,000 (+5 %) by comparison with the figure for 2018. Since 2010, the number of processed offences linked to a suspect has increased by approximately 11,300 (+2 %).

Processed offences linked to a suspect

Number of processed offences linked to a suspect 2010-2019.

The statistics of processed offences linked to a suspect is based on offences and suspects registered and processed by Swedish Police, Swedish Customs and Swedish Prosecution Authority. A processed offence refers to an offence were a decision has been taken which entails that the processing of the offence was completed. Offences with person-based clearances are processed offences where a conviction decision (a decision to indict, issue a summary sanction order, or waive prosecution) has been made.

The statistics gives an overview of the number of processed offences linked to a suspect and is presented by the type of offence, type of decision and sex and age of the suspected person. The statistics does not include processed offences linked to suspects under the age of criminal responsibility (15 years).

The statistics of processed offences linked to a suspect is new from 2016, but it is available annually from 2007.

Summary of the results 2019

During 2019, 566,000 offences linked to a suspect were processed, which is an increase of 29,000 (+5 %) by comparison with the figure for 2018. Since 2010, the number of processed offences linked to a suspect has increased by approximately 11,300 (+2 %). The most common crime category among the processed offences linked to a suspect in 2019, was Crimes against person, which constituted 24 per cent of the total. Other common offences were Crimes against the Narcotics Drugs Act (19 %), Theft and Robbery (11 %) and Crimes against the Road Traffic Offences Act (11 %).

For 225,000 (40 %) of the processed offences linked to a suspect, a person based clearances¹ (a decision to indict, issue a summary sanction order, or waive prosecution) was made in 2019, which constitutes an decrease of 880 (±0 %) by comparison with the figure for 2018. Since 2010, the number has decreased by 14 per cent. The proportion of person based clearances has decreased by 2 percentage point since 2018, and by 7 percentage point since 2010. The rest of the offences linked to a suspect have been subject to investigation limitation decision (10 %) or other type of decision (50 %). The proportion of the offences linked to a suspect which was subject to investigation limitation decisions have increased since 2010, with 3 percentage points.

The majority (461,000 or 81 per cent) of the processed offences in 2019 was linked to a male suspect; this is a pattern which has been stable for the past ten years. Of the processed offences linked to a male suspect, 40 per cent has been processed with a person based clearance; this proportion has decreased by 2 percentage points since 2018. Of the processed offences linked to a female suspect, 38 per cent was processed with person based clearances, a decrease by 2 percentage points since 2018.

Of the processed offences, 97,800 were linked to a suspect aged 15 to 20 years, which constitutes 17 per cent of all the processed offences linked to a suspect. The rest of the offences (466,000 or 83 per cent) were linked to persons aged 21 and over. About two out of five (42 %) of the offences linked to persons aged 15 to 20 years, were processed with person based clearance in 2019. The corresponding proportion of person based clearances for offenses linked to persons aged 21 and over was 39 per cent. The proportions have decreased over time, with 1 respectively 3 percentage points since 2010.

¹Person-based cleared offences are processed offences for which at least one suspect has been prosecuted through the commencement of a prosecution, the issuance of a summary sanction order or a waiver of prosecution.